Thursday, May 15, 2014

Drawing along journey lines

With the painting studio dismantled and packed, the studio is now a drawing space. Of course because I’m moving house I need to make good all the walls - filling the holes I’ve made and re-painting the space white. Alternating drawing and cleaning or packing...

Second on my drawing reading list is Basic Geological Mapping from Wiley Press. Full of practical tips for field sketching - I was inspired by the section about traversing lines. The way they work is the geologist marks the start and end point and then visits any sites of interest along the way via perpendicular paths connecting to the main straight traversing line.

Bottom to top: journey from Black Nab, Saltwick Bay,
Saltwick Nab, the Scar, Whitby pier, caves at Whitby beach.

But I rather liked the idea of a creative interpretation of this - a drawing that moves along with the lines and objects changing based on the journey, but with no attempt to maintain scale or proper distance. Many artists work in this “journey” style of approach, including the winner of the Derwent Art Prize last year. (click here to read about her and her work on the Making a Mark blog - it's really interesting!)

So I started with simple sketches and notes of what to include in the little daily sketchbook.

But how to do a large or long drawing when I can’t pin or staple paper to the wall? I looked around for a large flat surface. Unfortunately my drawing board is only A1 and I had something longer in mind. Then I realised that hidden behind all the paintings is the glass shower door I usually use as my tabletop! Perfect.
Bottom to top: journey from Old Nab, ironstone outcrops at Penny Nab,
Staithes Beck, Cowbar Nab, Saltburn, flashes on Redcar beach.

Glass door angled against wall, paper taped to glass... new drawing ideas. These are on cartridge paper with graphite, black acrylic and white gesso. If I like what comes out of the experiment, I'll try working them up properly on limestone paper.

Night time photos, as my night owl habits kick back in, too.


See the coast paintings tina-m.com
Post a Comment

Follow by Email