Thursday, February 07, 2013

Experiment 2 with Liquitex acrylic spray paint

My experiments with Liquitex spray paint continues. Trying to use it as a glaze rather than as spray-paint artists would.

The first test was using it as a near-final layer, a white I would usually brush on with many layers, with a large canvas went wrong. You can see that post here, and the final painting here.

It worked quite well. My next attempt was to use the spray as a middle layer - at a point where again I would usually glaze a lot of white but just to knock back the bright coloured underpainting but keeping enough colour to continue with pale colour glazes on top.

Would spraying a middle layer keep the canvas texture?
Would the sprayed paint build up into a flat 'solid' slick surface?
I hoped not!

After a very solid spray layer (the paint pooled) I can say it worked very well. The resulting layer wasn't flat and slippery - somehow some of the canvas texture still is there and the paint seems to have a bit of 'tooth'. I've glazed dark warm colours, a lot of gold, and whites and lavenders over it and it still has a workable texture for further glazes.

One of those spray droplets did creep in! Drat! But again that's down to my inexperience with the spray can.

The next time I really want to try to brush out the edges of the spray when it's still workable - to see if I could use the spray as a large area glaze but one I can still brush with. That's because if it is a final layer then I don't like the tell-tale spray margins and would like to brush them out to fade with no visible spray or brushstrokes. That will be the next experiment. But I need better weather so I can spray outside and kneel on the ground and do brushwork at the same time. So ideally dry ground! Even if it's not warm.


See the coast paintings tina-m.com
Enhanced by Zemanta
Post a Comment

Follow by Email